Frequently asked questions

Here are answers to frequently asked questions to help students successfully navigate the Fall 2020 semester, whether they are on campus or online. Marianopolis continues to adhere to the latest mandates by health authorities.

  • What COVID-19 prevention measures are in place?

    Here are the COVID-19 prevention measures that the College has put in place on campus for the Fall 2020 semester. They have been crafted to respect public-health guidelines for the higher education sector. They may be refined and updated as the term progresses. We count on everyone’s collaboration to maintain our campus as a safe and healthy environment in which to learn and work.

    • Be sure to familiarize yourself with the academic calendar, available online and on Omnivox. It has been designed to provide you with a blend of remote and on-campus experiences.
    • Before coming to campus, you must complete a one-time strictly confidential health questionnaire and follow the instructions it contains if your situation changes.
    • You must use only the main door and swipe your Marianopolis ID card each time you enter and exit the building. If you don’t have an ID card, you must sign in and out at Reception until you get a card from ITS if you are an employee or, if you are a student, by sending Josie Cavaliere a MIO.
    • You must take care to practice physical distancing and good hygiene. Security and College personnel will help to ensure that these preventative measures are respected.
    • You must have your own mask, which you must wear at all times inside the College, except when you are seated at a workstation with at least 2m of physical distancing.
    • If you need to visit the College’s support services on campus, you must make an appointment in advance.
    • The College has increased its cleaning routines and adjusted physical spaces where necessary, including closing some common areas.
    • The COVID-19 symptom self-assessment tool can be used if you think you may have been exposed to the virus or are experiencing any symptoms associated with it.
    • Anyone on campus who exhibits symptoms of COVID-19 will be isolated in the First Aid Room until they leave campus. All areas where they have been will be disinfected. The person must remain in isolation at home, call 1-877-644-4545 as soon as possible and follow the health guidelines provided. The Direction générale de la santé publique will contact anybody with whom a COVID-positive person has interacted at the College and instruct them on what to do.

    Students who have questions about these prevention measures can send a MIO to Maria Elena Abraham, Assistant to the Office of the Associate Dean, Student Success.

  • What COVID-19 red zone measures are in place?

    On October 5, 2020, the government announced measures to limit the second wave of COVID-19 and these measures impact educational institutions situated in “red zones.”

    Marianopolis is well prepared for this second wave of the pandemic because the College planned last spring for most of this semester to be held remotely. While the campus will remain open, beginning October 8, for the duration of the red zone alert:

    • Teaching and learning activities will be delivered online only. This includes all evaluations during block 3 of the academic calendar.
    • Student life and social activities will take place online only. No gatherings of any kind will be permitted on campus.
    • Essential support services will continue to be provided in-person on a case-by-case basis by appointment only.
    • The Library will remain open for contactless book exchange and individual study only.
    • You must wear a mask at all times inside the College, except if you are seated at a workstation with 2m of physical distancing.

    In all other respects, the semester will continue as planned and the prevention measures (listed above) that we put in place remain unchanged.

  • What is the format for the Fall 2020 semester?

    As announced in May 2020, the College continues to focus on alternative modes of delivery for Fall 2020, with an even greater emphasis on personalized attention and support. The academic calendar provides the important dates and explains the time blocks that make up the semester. The College’s support services and student life continue to be offered online and on campus by appointment.

  • What are the plans for the Winter 2021 semester?

    Based on feedback from students, teachers and staff, the College will offer its Winter 2021 semester in a similar format to the Fall 2020 semester. The academic calendar provides the important dates and explains the time blocks that make up the semester. The College’s support services and student life will continue to be offered online and on campus by appointment.

  • Will I need to write the English Exit Exam?

    The Ministry has announced the cancellation of the English Exit Exam originally scheduled for December 16, 2020. As a result, the satisfactory completion of the exam as a requirement for obtaining a Diplôme d’études collégiales (DEC) will be waived for students who satisfy the following criteria:

    • students graduating this term who have not yet completed and passed the exam, and
    • students who are eligible to write the exam and have already successfully completed the three English courses (603-101, 603-102, and 603-103) in a prior term.

    Note that this exemption does not apply to students currently registered in any of these three English courses. Students currently enrolled in 603-103 will be required to write the exam next semester.

  • What technology do I need for remote classes?

    You will need a laptop or desktop computer that includes a camera and microphone (built-in or installed separately) as well as a reliable internet connection.

    You will need to use various online platforms for your courses. Make sure to familiarize yourself with each of these platforms and read your course outlines carefully to find out which ones your teachers will be using to meet with students and distribute course material, assignments and evaluations.

    If you do not have access to any of this equipment, send a MIO to Maria Elena Abraham, Assistant to the Associate Dean, Student Success, and provide her with information regarding your specific situation and needs.

  • How do I attend remote classes?

    You are expected to be available during the set time block for each class as indicated in your class schedule. Your teacher will specify when you will be expected to participate in live (synchronous) sessions. Some material will be made available by the teacher to review on your own time (asynchronous). This is meant to provide you with flexibility, but it also means you will need to manage your time.

  • What if I need to be absent from class?

    Rules regarding attendance are spelled out in section 3.5 of the IPESA, the Institutional Policy for the Evaluation Student Achievement. The College understands that students may face various challenges related to the pandemic and to the new reality of remote learning. To report an absence and for any questions, send a MIO to Maria Elena Abraham, Assistant to the Office of the Associate Dean, Student Success.   

  • What if I miss a test or an assignment deadline?

    Rules regarding missed evaluations are spelled out in section 3.6 of the IPESA, the Institutional Policy for the Evaluation Student Achievement, which is the College’s main policy on academic matters. Students who miss a deadline or date for an evaluation must inform their teacher of the reason immediately and provide any supporting documentation that is requested.

  • How can I see my teacher outside of class time?

    All teachers hold regular office hours on a virtual platforms. Each teacher will specify their office hours on the course outline. Teachers also use MIO to communicate with students individually and set up one-on-one or small group appointments as needed.

  • How do I drop or change courses or programs?

    You must meet virtually with an Academic Advisor to drop courses or change your program. You can make an appointment via Omnivox using the “Academic Advising Appointments” module. Special virtual drop-in hours (no appointment necessary) will be available for students who wish to drop courses and will be announced in Omnivox. The deadline to drop courses is September 18. Visit the Support Services page, under Academic Advising, to learn more.

  • How can I access library resources?

    Visit the Library page to find out how to access the Library’s online collections and get help from the Librarians.

  • How can I get help with academic or personal issues?

    Visit the Support Services page to see the kinds of help available and whom to contact. The Fall 2020 Student Guide also provides details on weekly office hours when you can drop in without an appointment to meet with support staff. You can also send a MIO to Maria Elena Abraham, Assistant to the Associate Dean, Student Success, if you have any questions regarding your specific situation.

  • How do I get help with Omnivox?

    Workshops are being offered this semester to help students navigate Omnivox and Lea Classroom. If you would like additional information about these workshops, please send a MIO to AccessAbility Assistant Samantha Lamontagne.

    If you have forgotten your Omnivox password, you must select a new one by clicking on “Forgot your password?” If you are not prompted to enter your security answers, or if you receive an error message, select “First time use?” then add your personal information (student number, permanent code, date of birth) and create a new password. If you have forgotten your permanent code, It can be found on your Marianopolis transcript, high school report card, Ministry of Education report card and Marianopolis ID card. If you still need help, email

  • How can I get a transcript, diploma or official form?

    Transcripts and letters of attendance can be ordered easily via Omnivox, under “Document Request.” You can also see your grades and your unofficial transcript under “Final Grades.”

    Diplomas are issued by the Ministry of Education upon confirmation by Marianopolis that the student has satisfied the government’s conditions for the certification of studies. As soon as your diploma has arrived at the College from the Ministry of Education, we will notify you via Omnivox with instructions on how to pick it up or make a request to have it mailed to you.

    Official forms are also available via Omnivox, under “Document Request.” The Attestation of Quebec Residency Status form is available online through the Ministry of Education.

    If you need help accessing official documents, send a MIO to Angie King, Enrolment Services Clerk, or Richard Woo, Enrolment Services Technician.