Preparation for English College Studies (PECS)
Why take PECS?
Preparation for English College Studies (PECS) is a 12-day learning activity designed for students whose first language is not English and are completing Secondary 4 or 5 in Quebec in June. This support gives students an opportunity to improve English communication skills through grammar review, vocabulary and idiom practice, oral presentations, reading comprehension and writing exercises.
PECS does not give credit toward a Diploma of Collegial Studies nor does it replace ENG 603-001.
The vast majority of students who took PECS said it helped their writing ability in English and recommended PECS to new students. Here’s what some have said:
- “The teacher repeats the content in many different ways so that we assimilate the theory. He makes us practice oral skills, writing skills and pronunciation skills.”
- “We did a lot of activities such as games in teams or orals in groups. It is not only fun but also helps us socialize … with people we might not have a chance to know.”
- “PECS … was always interesting and I learned a lot. The teacher was really helpful.”
Where and when
PECS is held at Marianopolis. Sessions begin Tuesday June 26 and end Thursday July 12. All sessions are from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. weekdays. The College is closed Monday July 2 for Canada Day.
Registration and payment
Registration ends at 4 p.m. Thursday June 7. Registrations are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Students who will attend Marianopolis in the fall have priority. Each section has a limit of 25 students. Payment is required to complete registration.
- To pay by debit or credit card, visit this page.
- To pay by cheque or money order, print and fill out the registration form and mail or bring it with payment to the Finance Office, Room A-269. Make cheques payable to Marianopolis College; the College does not accept post-dated cheques.
- To pay with cash, print and fill out the registration form and bring it with payment to the Finance Office, Room A-269.
Registration fee $50 (non-refundable)
Total amount $440 (due at registration)
To withdraw, submit a written notice to the Finance Office, Room A-269, by 4 p.m. Wednesday June 27. The College will not issue refunds after this date.
Marianopolis reserves the right to cancel PECS due to low enrolment.
For more information
Please contact PECS Coordinator Dr. Suzanne Daningburg, ext. 279.