Preparation for English College Studies (PECS)
Designed for students who complete Secondary IV or V in June and whose first language is not English, Preparation for English College Studies (PECS) aims to improve English communication skills through grammar review, vocabulary and idiom practice, oral presentations, reading comprehension and writing exercises.
Students who will attend Marianopolis in the fall have priority for PECS registration. Each section has a limit of 25 students.
PECS does not give credit toward a Diploma of Collegial Studies nor does it replace ENG 002.
Why take PECS?
The vast majority of students who took PECS said it helped their writing ability in English and recommended PECS to new students. Here’s what some have said:
- “The teacher repeats the content in many different ways so that we assimilate the theory. He makes us practice oral skills, writing skills and pronunciation skills.”
- “We did a lot of activities such as games in teams or orals in groups. It is not only fun but also helps us socialize … with people we might not have a chance to know.”
- “PECS … was always interesting and I learned a lot. The teacher was really helpful.”
Where and when
PECS is held at Marianopolis College. Sessions begin Monday June 26, 2017 and end Wednesday July 12, 2017. They are held from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. weekdays. The College will be closed Friday June 30 for the Canada Day holiday.
Registration $50 (non-refundable)
Total $440 (due at registration)
Registration and payment
Registration opens Monday April 24 on a first-come, first-served basis and closes at 4 p.m. Thursday June 8. Payment is due by 4 p.m. Thursday June 8 at the Business Office, Room A-269.
- To pay by debit or credit card, please register online starting Monday April 24.
- To pay by cheque or money order, please fill out the print registration form and mail or bring the completed form and payment to the Business Office, Room A-269.
- To pay by cash, please fill out the print registration form and bring the completed form and payment to the Business Office, Room A-269.
To withdraw, submit a written notice to the Business Office, Room A-269, by 4 p.m. Tuesday June 27, 2017. The College will not issue refunds after this date.
Marianopolis College reserves the right to cancel PECS due to low enrolment.
For more information, please contact PECS Coordinator Dr. Suzanne Daningburg, ext. 279.