Preparation for English College Studies (PECS)
Why take PECS?
Preparation for English College Studies (PECS) is a learning experience designed for students whose first language is not English. The purpose of this activity is to improve English communication skills through grammar review, reading comprehension activities, writing and vocabulary exercises and oral presentations.
Any student completing Secondary IV or V in Quebec in June 2019 may apply. Students who will attend Marianopolis in the fall have priority for PECS registration. Each section has a limit of 25 students.
This activity does not give credit toward a Diploma of Collegial Studies or replace any English course. The activity helps improve students’ overall ability in English and prepare them for their College studies in English. Students who participated in PECS in past years have made the following comments:
- “The teacher repeats the content in many different ways so that we assimilate the theory. He makes us practice oral skills, writing skills and pronunciation skills.”
- “We did a lot of activities such as games in teams or orals in groups. It is not only fun but also helps us socialize … with people we might not have a chance to know.”
- “PECS … was always interesting and I learned a lot. The teacher was really helpful.”
Where and when
PECS takes place at Marianopolis
Tuesday June 25 to Thursday July 11
9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. weekdays.
The College will be closed Monday July 1 for Canada Day.
Registration and withdrawal
Registration is open until 4 p.m. June 4. Payment is required to complete registration.
- To pay by debit or credit card, go here.
- To pay by cheque or money order, fill out the registration form and mail or bring it with payment to the Finance Office. Make your cheques payable to Marianopolis College. The College does not accept post-dated cheques.
- To pay with cash, fill out the registration form and bring it with your payment to the Finance Office.
Registration $50 (non-refundable)
Total $440 (due at registration)
To withdraw, please submit a written notice to the Finance Office by Wednesday June 26. The College will not issue refunds after this date.
Marianopolis reserves the right to cancel PECS due to low enrolment.
For more information
Please contact PECS Coordinator Dr. Suzanne Daningburg, ext. 279.