Mission, Vision and Heritage
The student is the centre of the Marianopolis learning community. Drawing on its rich educational heritage, the College strives to be a leader in building a dynamic and supportive environment where students can grow both personally and intellectually. Marianopolis students will be prepared to pursue academic excellence in their studies, become self-directed lifelong learners, and make positive contributions as citizens of a complex and changing world.
Marianopolis College’s heritage links directly through the Congrégation de Notre-Dame to the first educational endeavours of 17th Century Ville Marie; it shapes our vision of the dignity of the individual and the quest for knowledge and understanding. Marianopolis welcomes students from all cultures, faiths and social and economic backgrounds to come together within and beyond the classroom in mutual respect and trust. The College strives to create an exciting learning environment encouraging innovative teaching and incorporating technology to better serve our students. Members of the Marianopolis community encourage each other to think critically and creatively, communicate effectively, act with integrity, promote social and political justice, and practice responsible stewardship of the natural environment.
Established in 1908, the College began as the first institution of higher education for women in Quebec, with Bachelor of Arts degrees granted through affiliations first with Université Laval and then Université de Montréal. Initially called l’École d’Enseignement supérieur (French section) and Notre-Dame Ladies’ College (English section) and located on Sherbrooke Street, it was renamed Collège Marguerite Bourgeoys in 1926 and moved to Westmount Avenue.
Near the end of World War II, the college’s English section became independent, renaming itself Marianopolis College, moving to Guy Street then Peel Street and adding Bachelors of Science degrees. Following the province’s educational reforms in the late 1960’s, Marianopolis phased out its university programs, granted its first Diplomas of Collegial Studies within the new CÉGEP system and began admitting male students. As its enrolment grew, the College moved to Côte-des-Neiges in 1975 then again to Westmount Avenue in 2007.
Today, Marianopolis is a private English-language college recognized as one of Quebec’s leading post-secondary institutions, specializing in pre-university education for about 2,000 students in a close-knit, student-centred community.
The College’s logo embodies its history in a timeless and elegant way. The open book in the crest symbolizes an institution dedicated to educating students from all backgrounds in Montreal and the world. The monogram AM at the bottom left of the crest is the College motto, Auspice Maria (Latin for “under the guidance of Mary”). Together with the image of the walled city it signifies Ville-Marie, Marianopolis. The star and crescent at the right of the crest are taken from the seal of the Congrégation de Notre-Dame. The wavy band with diamonds is an adaptation of the Archdiocese of Montreal’s coat of arms.
Marianopolis College is proud to be part of the Congrégation de Notre-Dame’s educational network in Quebec. Our fellow schools are:
- Collège Mont Notre-Dame in Sherbrooke
- Collège Regina Assumpta in Montreal North
- École Les Mélèzes in Joliette
- Villa Maria in Montreal
The congregation’s virtual archive is a fount of information on how the Sisters shaped the education of Montrealers for over 350 years.