Home > News > Teaching and commemorating World War I

Teaching and commemorating World War I

Third centenary year, 2016-2017

World War I was cataclysmic. Fought on many fronts and continents, it was also the culmination of a century of nationalism, industrialization and rivalry, when the ideals of liberalism and pacifism were battered. The war’s consequences carry into this millennium, resonating in politics, economics, culture, geography and conflicts.

For the third consecutive year, the Marianopolis community is sharing its expertise in a variety of areas through the prism of World War I. Instructors are drawing on their areas of expertise, as well as taking this opportunity to add other dimensions to what they are already teaching. The College’s expert librarians have created a collection of resources to help deepen understanding of the Great War.

Many events are taking place across the College. For example, Genevieve Renard Painter, a post-doctoral fellow at the Faculty of Law, McGill University, is giving the talk “Fighting for King and Country under the Wrong Flag: Six Nations Soldiers and Haudenosaunee Sovereignty in World War I,” 12:45-2 p.m., April 25, in A-310. With a Doctorate in Jurisprudence and Social Policy from the University of California, Berkeley, she is researching the gradual invention in Canada of a conflict between the equality rights of Indigenous women and the sovereignty of Indigenous nations.

WW1 slide_a.y.jackson

Image: A.Y. Jackson. A Copse, Evening (1918). Beaverbook Collection of War Art, Canadian War Museum, Ottawa.