Home > News > Teaching and commemorating World War I

Teaching and commemorating World War I

Fourth centenary year, 2017-2018

World War I was cataclysmic. Fought on many fronts and continents, it was also the culmination of a century of nationalism, industrialization and rivalry, when the ideals of liberalism and pacifism were battered. The war’s consequences carry into this millennium, resonating in politics, economics, culture, geography and conflicts.

For the fourth consecutive year, the Marianopolis community is sharing its expertise in a variety of areas through the prism of World War I. Instructors are drawing on their areas of expertise, as well as taking this opportunity to add other dimensions to what they are already teaching. The College’s expert librarians have created a collection of resources to help deepen understanding of the Great War.

Many events are taking place across the College:

August 29, 12:45-2 p.m., A-307, the Quebec Conscription Crisis of World War I began 100 years ago on August 29, 1917. Come learn more about it. All welcome!

WW1 slide_a.y.jackson

Image: A.Y. Jackson. A Copse, Evening (1918). Beaverbook Collection of War Art, Canadian War Museum, Ottawa.